You are organizing an event. This could be a conference, seminar, concert, or a fest.
Once the plan of your event is ready, the next step you take up is—generate and distribute tickets. And you know that a ticket is just not for secure entry. It may mean much more to your guests— such as a souvenir of a noteworthy event.
So, you do not want your event tickets to be dull and boring. You want the ticket to be branded and colourful. And a custom-designed ticket will definitely catch the recipient’s eye.
Plus you want your guests to get all the basic details—date, time, venue. And any other additional information about the event..
But designing a ticket is a task. You do use tools such as Adobe Spark, Photoshop, and Illustrator. But these tools are complex to use. And besides, are expensive.
And you are looking for an online tool that helps you create custom-designed tickets easily. And the good news is that there is a solution— you can not only design your own tickets but also secure entries to your event.
This article will guide you on the things you need to keep in mind while designing your ticket. And also guide you on the tool you can use to design tickets smoothly.
A. Ticket design best practices
Here are a few things you should keep in mind while designing tickets:
Hence, your tickets should be:
Since a ticket is meant to authenticate entries, it should ensure:
1. Only authorized entries
You have seen paper-based event tickets. They usually contain details such as event name, venue, date, timing, and the attendee’s name.
But such tickets are easy to tamper with. With photo editing tools, one can easily create duplicate tickets.
Hence, you must first ensure that your tickets cannot be duplicated. And QR Code-based authentication helps you do that. When scanned with a smartphone, it shows you whether the ticket is valid, invalid, or duplicate.
2. Provision of all the important event details
The ticket should have all the details important for the recipients. And we are not talking only about the event’s date, time, and venue.
It should also give them other important details such as event description. Or the row or seat number where you want them to sit. Or even the terms and conditions for attending your event.
b. Look branded
Once you ensure that your tickets are functional, you’d want them to look branded too.
It increases your audience’s receptivity towards your brand. And doing it, helps them recall your brand whenever they need a similar service.
To add branding, you can:
1. Add a logo
A logo is an important part of a ticket. It clearly conveys who is hosting the event. So if you are a business or a company, you can add your logo to the tickets.
2. Add a background
Just like a logo, you can also use the ticket’s background to personalize the ticket design.
To do this, you can use an image as the background. Just select an image that is relevant for your event and add it to the background.
Or you can also use a solid color in the background. Not sure which color to use? Here are some tips:
i. Use your own company’s or brand’s primary color as the background
ii. In case you want to go for alternatives, you can safely use the color blue. It is a universal favourite among all designers. It gives a cooling effect and lead to better interaction with the eye. It is also the color that is much more visible to color blind people than any other color
iii. Other than that, yellow is the color that the human eye notices first. So if your event is promotional, you can go for this color
Now that we’re done with the functional and branding aspects of a ticket, let’s see how to create custom design tickets online.
B. How to create custom-designed tickets online
In order to create customized tickets, you need an online tool.
In this article, we will use Ticket Generator for demo purposes. It helps you quickly design event tickets that are both functional and branded. And the best part is—you can do it all on your own. No need to hire a graphic designer.
Plus, the tool generates QR Code based tickets. Every ticket has a unique QR Code on it. The purpose of the QR Code is to ensure secure entry to the event.
You just need to follow some simple steps:
a. Create Event
1. Go to Ticket Generator and sign up for an account. Note that all new users get first 10 ticket credits (1 credit = 1 ticket) free of cost. These credits will allow you to easily test if the tool meets your requirements.
2. Go to Create Tickets and select/create your event. If you are creating a new event, specify all the details such as name of the event, timings, and venue.
Once you fill the details, click on Create.
Your event will be created.
b. Design tickets
3. Once you have created the event, the next step is to design your ticket online. Here, the first option you will see is— Generate and Download. Note that ticket displayed will have all details you specified about the event. As mentioned above, the ticket will also have a QR Code.
4. You have the following options of customization:
- Ticket Background image: You can either upload the background image from your system or paste the image URL. Note that the image should be in PNG, JPEG, or JPG format
- Background Color: You can also add a solid background color to your ticket. This can be done by either specifying a HEX Code or a CMYK color
Note that you can either change background color or change background image
- Logo: You can add the logo in the same manner you added background image. That is, you can either upload it from the system or paste the URL of the logo. The format should be PNG, JPEG, or JPG format. And the image size should not exceed 5MB
- Event Description: You can add a tagline or any other additional information of upto 100 characters. This information will remain the same for all tickets
- Variable information: This is the information which will be unique on every ticket. This may include details such as row number, seat number, section, and ticket price. You can upload a CSV or MS-Excel with the data that will go on each ticket. That is, you can add this unique information on each ticket by adding this data in each row. Each column should have a unique header defining the data in the column. These headers will also be printed on the ticket
Here is a useful guide on how to create the variable information document.
Generate and Download
5. Once you design your ticket online, specify the number of tickets you want. Your customized tickets will be generated. You can click on Preview to see a preview of your ticket.
If everything looks fine, click on Generate.
Generate and Email
6. The second option is Generate and Email tickets directly to guests. Using this option, you will have to specify email addresses of recipients along with the number of tickets each one of them should receive. Once you specify, click on Generate.
Your QR Code based customized ticket will be generated. And sent to each recipient added.
This way you can design your ticket online easily.
C. How to validate tickets and manage event
You have generated a customized ticket which has a QR Code on it. And as mentioned above, the QR Code is basically to authenticate entries to the event. But how does that work?
Each ticket has a QR Code encoded with a unique ID or a serial code. By using the app Ticket Validator (Google Play, App store), you can scan the QR Codes on the ticket. And know whether the ticket is valid, invalid, or duplicate.
Using the Ticket Generator dashboard, the organizer can get attendance reports on the event.
You can see this by going to the ‘Manage Event’ section on your dashboard. Here you can:
1. Add coordinators
You can add coordinators to your event, in case you are organizing the event on a large scale. You just need to click Add/Edit Coordinator. And here, specify the respective email addresses.
The coordinators will receive an email invitation. They can then log in to Ticket Validator app and start validating tickets.
2. Track attendance
Click on View Analytics to track attendance. You will be able to see the following details:
- Number of tickets validated per coordinator
- Percentage of people who attended the event
- Number of used, new, expired, and invalid tickets
- Attendance on the different time periods (by hours, days) of the event
- Number of duplicate and re-entry allowed tickets
Using this data, you can track attendance, coordinator effort, and unauthorized attempts.
Also note that you can download all the data in CSV format.
So, design your ticket online in a simple way. You can easily choose a color and image that suits your purpose best. Your tickets will not only be custom made but also help you ensure event security.